Last night Carrie showed me a video of “Stuff Memphians Say” – It’s a really funny video, and even though I lived there only a year and a half I think I heard just about all of those references.
But I’m from Louisville, and everyone knows Louisville has its own distinct culture.
You know you’re from Louisville when:
1) When you meet someone else from Louisville, you only have to ask 3 questions to know everything about them: Are you originally from Louisville? Where did you grow up? Where did you go to school?
2) You care less about national sports but you know who won last years St. X/Trinity and Male/Manual games.
3) You get deeply offended when someone mispronounces the city name, even though there are at least 5 pronunciations considered accurate.
4) If you see Indiana plates on the car in front of you, you immediate assume they’ll drive 30 mph and you must get around them at all costs
5) You ever used to cruise Preston Highway
6) You know what “cruise Preston Highway” means
7) You visit other parts of Kentucky and cannot believe it’s the same state
8) You get mad when someone parks in the far right lane on Bardstown Road in the Highlands
9) You know Heine Brothers and Java Brewing Company better than Starbucks
10) You sat behind a pole to watch a Redbirds or UofL football game at Old Cardinal Stadium
11) You have ever been to a Catholic Church picnic and seen a fight
12) When Lent comes around you know where a good fish fry is
13) You do everything you can to avoid taking the Watterson
14) Depending on which part of town you grew up in, you have definite opinions about other parts of town
15) No matter what route, when asked how long it takes to get anywhere the answer is “about 20 minutes”
16) You recognize former UofL basketball players who still live in town
17) The Kentucky State Fair is a cultural experience
18) You get it when people talk about the Catholic vs. Public schools in sports
19) You remember when Waterfront Park was a dump
20) You’ve ever made funny faces in the giant mirror at the Science Museum
21) You trick-or-treated next to zoo animals as a kid
22) You’ve been to Waverly
23) You know someone who got caught by the cops at Waverly
24) You hate Derby but love the Oaks
25) You went on family vacations to Destin or Panama City and saw at least 1 person you knew
26) You’ve worn shorts and a winter coat in the same week and don’t think anything of it
27) Cherokee Park still confuses you when you try to drive or run through there
28) The only time you went to Indiana was to buy fireworks or pumpkins
29) You played in the fountain at the Belvedere as a kid
What additions/edits do you have?